Thursday, May 19, 2011

10 unusual toppings for a peanut butter sandwich

    Skippy Peanut Butter, Natural Creamy, 15-Ounce Jars (Pack of 6)
  1. Molasses: My favorite molasses is the really dark and heavy kind, which honestly is most types of molasses. The flavoring can be a bit strong for some tastes, but it still brings a bit of sweetness and fluidity to what otherwise could be a dry peanut butter sandwich. Keep in mind I'm talking about traditional molasses that's made from sugar. There is a type of molasses made from beets, but I'll admit to not being familiar with that type of molasses.
  2. Tomatoes: Okay, this one isn't for me, but I've seen it done and the person eating it raved on and on about how great the sandwich tasted. Basically, just slice some tomatoes and add it to your peanut butter. To be fair, I'm not a big tomato person anyway, so it's natural this one wouldn't appeal to me.
  3. Bananas: This one isn't too big of a stretch. The king of rock music Elvis Presley was known for eating fried banana and peanut butter sandwiches, but I've always had the non-fried version. And actually, it's pretty good. Banana seems to go well with peanut butter, though it can still be a little dry.
  4. Chocolate syrup: I like peanut butter and chocolate mixed in candy bars, so this one shouldn't seem too out of the ordinary. You'd have a lot of options here because while you could use traditional chocolate syrup, you could also switch to chocolate fudge or even try cherry syrup or butterscotch or any kind of syrup usually offered for ice cream.
  5. Corn syrup: Light or dark versions of this syrup are usually the available options. Both are sweet, with dark corn syrup usually having a little molasses or burnt maple flavoring. Again, it's sweet and sort of wet, which can help a peanut butter sandwich go down more smooth. I've tried this one on occasion and it's not too bad.
  6. Chocolate chips: This suggestion can still leave you with a dry sandwich unless you pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to melt the chocolate and peanut butter, but it still sounds like it might be worth trying. If you don't go the microwave route, you could end up with a slightly crunch sandwich with all those chocolate chips. And this is another suggestion where you'd have more than a single option since most grocery stores will also carry butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, etc.
  7. Fried eggs: Yikes! I don't know if I'd want to try this one, but I've been assured by several people that this is a good sandwich to eat. I'd probably try it, but I'll have to work up my nerve first.
  8. Marshmallows: As with the chocolate chips, I'd suggest nuking this one in the microwave a little. Of course you're going to end up with one of the most sticky, gooey sandwiches of all time, but it should still be pretty sweet and tasty.
  9. Pineapple: Why not? Many people put bananas on their peanut butter sandwich, so this should just be an extension of that, another type of fruit worth adding to peanut butter. Fresh pineapple can almost be like a stiff jam in a way, anyway, so don't shoot this one down too soon. Of course it'll help if you like pineapple.
  10. Honey: This suggestion should almost be expected, especially since there are brands of peanut butter made with honey. I've eaten this one on many an occasion, and it makes for a fine sandwich. After grape jelly or blackberry jam, this is probably my next favorite topping to add to a peanut butter sandwich.
Related links

No comments:

Post a Comment